What is Workflow Management Software?
A workflow automation software helps in designing, executing, and automating simple to complex business processes based on pre-defined business rules where tasks, files, and data are routed between people and systems to accomplish the task. It helps automate time-consuming, repeatable manual work which helps improve the process efficiency and speeds up regular business tasks.
Organizations automate business processes with workflow software to improve employee productivity, improve task completion accuracy, ensure process auditability, and enable accountability.
Use cases of workflow automation software
The applicability of workflow automation software is enormous. You can automate relatively simple processes such as expenditure approval for an employee to seemingly much more complex processes, spanning across departments in your organization.
Irrespective of the industry, workflow software can be used to automate processes like these and more-
Finance – Expense approvals, Capex requests, salary changes, accounts payable, grants management
Purchasing – Procurement process, vendor management, invoice approvals
Operations – Complaint management, maintenance requests
IT – IT service requests, security access requests, new project requests, change requests, new account set up
Legal – Contract reviews, client intake
HR – Employee onboarding, employee offboarding, timesheets, benefits changes
Sales – Pricing discounts, proposal approvals, quote approvals
Facilities – Resource scheduling, facility access
What should I look for in workflow management software?
While you are assessing vendors for the software, make sure you are keeping an eye out for the below features-
- Intuitive process builder that is easy-to-use to create, edit, and share workflows
- Progress tracker to ensure your project is on time
- Process insights to help you be on top of productivity bottlenecks and quickly fix the issues
- Access control feature to ensure data accuracy and security. With role-based rights for access to users, you can assign work steps to particular users and control viewing or editing rights
- Alerts feature ensures that your team does not miss any deadline
- Integration capability with other systems that you might be using such as CRM software or any other business applications is a must
- Data security is extremely important. The software must have browser security, encryption, password-protected files.
Benefits of workflow automation software
- Enhanced cost savings
- Improved process efficiency
- Continuous process improvement
- Process flexibility for quick changes
- Increased employee productivity
- Better collaboration
- Increased transparency and accountability