Records management software: A must-have
A records management software helps you manage the complete record lifecycle, from creation to disposition. With a records management system, you can ensure robust governance and administration of records through enforcement of document retention and disposition policies.
However, it is essential to invest in the right records management software that can meet your current needs and cater to your future requirements.
What to consider while investing in a records management software
Implementing a records management solution demands due diligence. You need to take into account your existing organizational structure, technological capabilities, process ownership, and overall governance.
Below are seven considerations to help you select the ideal records management software:
- Platform-based approach: A records management software should empower you to keep up with dynamic business requirements. Hence, you must invest in a platform-based solution that is agile, future-ready, and has key capabilities, including artificial intelligence and machine learning-based content classification, metadata generation, mobile-based access, and social content management
- Migration from legacy systems: The software must enable seamless migration and modernization of legacy systems and offer interoperability for efficiently delivering civic services
- Information security: The software must ensure the authenticity, confidentiality, and integrity of records with comprehensive security capabilities. Furthermore, the software must comply with global standards and system certifications such as DoD 5015.02, ISO 15489, ISO 16175, VERS, and NRAA Oman
- Support for multiple types of records: The chosen software must support all kinds of records such as physical, electronic, email-based, and social records. The records should be classified in an organized manner to ensure easy search and retrieval
- Scalability: The most suitable solution is one that can meet your evolving business needs. A scalable architecture will enable you to handle billions of records by supporting multiple workflows
- Federation across multiple systems: An ideal software must offer a unified view of information while enabling users to access, edit, and manage documents through applications like Microsoft SharePoint. Additionally, the solution should offer federated search capabilities to search connected repositories and content management systems from a single interface
- Integration with enterprise applications: The software should integrate with other business applications, tools, repositories, and cloud storage systems through APIs and web services, ready-made adaptors, integration standards, and custom APIs. Additionally, it must support microservices and containerization-based deployments
Newgen’s EDRMS solution is built to digitize your enterprise-wide, mission-critical documents and records to minimize corporate risk and increase accountability. Download the eBook to understand if your records management system needs a digital facelift.