Our client L&S is a legal advisory and litigation services firm in the domain of Tax and IPR practices. The Tax and International Trade division of L&S consists of more than 120 qualified and experienced professionals from diversified backgrounds such as law, technology, business, science, commerce and accountancy. Their offices are located in 6 cities across India where over 200 professionals and 100 support staff from the field of Law, Technology and Chartered Accountancy are working.
Earlier, cases were allocated based on a manual process and individualistic style, without having a clear picture of work load of each of the professionals within the organization and across the locations. It was difficult to make use of an expert for a particular subject, if he happened to be in a location other than the location of the client. Since the system was based on physical file movement, only one person could work at a time on the case.
Also, the knowledge created over the years, was fragmented and not available centrally for access to the professionals. Coupled with the above there was no visibility to the client about the status of their case unless they knew the specific professional more candidly.
So, the client was looking for an integrated document management and workflow management system capable of dynamic work allocations, knowledge management and assuring clients timely delivery of their cases with excellence. The ultimate objective of the system would be to enable working of legal professionals from anywhere outside the office and at any time of the day. This would provide flexible working and assure clients the delivery of services from any office where the expert would be available. Also, the system would be capable of generating bills and tracking receivables. Last but not the least, it was important to assure the confidentiality and security of client information.
Newgen provided the client the Legal Case Management Solution. Key highlights of the solution are:
- Built using Newgen’s ECM & BPM Platform
- Automation of core legal case management process along with its supporting processes like Meeting, Visit, Expense and Bill to track all the activities performed in achieving the case completion and delivery
- Inbuilt features like Contract Management, Fee Calculator, Effort Tracker, Capacity Tracker and Time Sheet are provided for better manageability, tracking, reporting and traceability
- Integration with accounting software for exchanging billing and collection related information
- Dashboard and MIS reports
- Also the digitized and centralized Knowledge Repository of all the documents has been established across 7 branches of the firm spread across India
The broad functionality, that the case management system provides are- docketing, case allocation, work allocation, task completion by resources, billing and case closure
The solution has empowered professionals across the firm, including Attorneys, Technologists, and Chartered Accountants. It has integrated the work of professionals with accounting. To ease the work of professionals, data capturing activities and other routine works were grouped under a Docketing Cell to perform routine para-legal activities. This has been made possible because of Newgen’s Legal Case Management Solution. This case management solution has the 3 in 1 features of a Business Process Management, Enterprise Content Management and Business Rule Management System, which is an outstanding capability and something unique in itself.
The benefits accrued to the client include:
- Improved customer service with reduced turnaround time reduced
- Timely raising of invoices leading to improved cash flow
- Seamless Integration with accounting software
- Real time access to case documents
- Equitable distribution of cases among professionals
- Dashboard and MIS reports for real time monitoring and better visibility
- Knowledge Management and accessibility across the organization
- Tracking and monitoring of resources utilization leading to increased productivity levels
- Real time access to case documents, dashboard and everyday MIS for end to end tracking of cases Increased responsiveness via email notification to customers
- Access to the experts or access to the expert skills/ knowledge available in any one of the offices in India to the clients located elsewhere